Saturday, December 5, 2009

Author Study - Silver Packages

By: Cynthia Rylant

I really enjoyed reading this book. Again, the most notable thing about it was how relatable the main character was. I think that is amazing how I felt so connected to this character when I have nothing in common with him and have never experienced anything similar to what he experiences in the course of the book. To me, this was a book about giving back. Although it did have a moral, so to speak, it was presented in an understated way that was not the entire purpose of the book. I love that at the end, the boy grows up and returns to the town, and you learn that he is a doctor. Cynthia Rylant said that she does not necessarily like to write about people who have what they want: she wants to present a different perspective and show different people's lives, and this book is a perfect example of that. It sends a good message that was subtle, but still hopeful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment