Saturday, December 5, 2009

Miss Hunnicutt's Hat

By: Jeff Brumbeau

I thought this book was great! It definitely had some underlying themes and values, however, first and foremost it was just a good story that was fun to read and very funny. I liked the idea of being an individual and expressing yourself despite other people. I also liked the characterization of Miss Hunnicutt. She was originally introduced as being very shy and timid, and doing what people wanted, but she got stronger and stronger in her convictions to wear her hat as the story went on. I also thought that it was interesting that the townspeople blamed her for causing all the chaos, when in reality, it was their reaction to her hat that caused chaos; she didn’t do anything at all. I liked that in the end, Miss Hunnicut is validated by the fact that the queen has a similar hat, and then all of the townspeople copy it. Who decides what is socially acceptable and what is not? It is something that is so important to all of us but at the same time, arbitrary. Overall I liked this book and although it was dramatized, I think it is something that is very true to real life and that everyone can relate to in some way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment