Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Miami Giant

The Miami Giant

This book was so funny! What I loved the most about it was the presentation of the book itself. There was so much that was added to the book by the illustrations, the font, the arrangement on the page, and extra text that was not part of the story, like speech bubbles. This made me think about when we had that presentation in class about picture books, because I think this book exemplifies that there is more to the experience of a picture book than just words on a page. I never really thought before about how Everything is very deliberate, and adds to this wonderful effect. Even whether or not the page is shiny is a choice that affects the book as a whole. I was also thinking, along the same lines, about how we were talking in block about how when books are “basalized” and put into readres, it is not the same, because the presentation of the book is taken away, which is very deliberate by the author, and many times crucial to making the meaning of the story come alive. I think that all kids should experience picture books authentically, and this is a great one with a lot to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment