Saturday, December 5, 2009

Max's Starry Night

By: Ken Wilson-Max

 I thought this book was okay, but I really don’t have much to say for it. I think that it was a cute story but overall was a little bit boring and bland. There was nothing wrong with it but it just didn’t stand out to me and had nothing unique to offer. I think that there were so many missed opportunities within the story to spice it up a little more. For example, there were a lot of statements like: “He felt upset.” I feel like there are so many more interesting ways that could have been said and I don’t think the author really took advantage of language.  I was thinking about the idea of “Show don’t Tell” that you often hear when teaching kids to write. I think that might be a good exercise with a class; to pull sentences from a book like this and have them make them more interesting. I think it is cool how you can use books that you don’t necessarily love as a point of reference or a starter for a discussion.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment