Saturday, December 5, 2009

Author Study - Snow

By: Cynthia Rylant

I absolutely loved this book. What I loved the most is how the imagery, the pictures, and the words, immediately brought me back to thoughts of my childhood of playing in the snow, building igloos with my brother and sister, and of course the excitement of snow days when school would have to be canceled and we would get to play in the snow all day. I read this book to two separate children during child study, and both of them had this same experience of that personal connection with it. With one child, we spent almost 15 minutes just looking and talking about one illustration, before even reading the words, and there was still so much more discussion and storytelling to be had. For the other child, it was able to spark a four page journal entry for her, where she wrote about her experiences with the snow. The illustrations are so wistful, and the words so poetic. This is really a book to connect with, and to spark stories and conversation. (Especially if you grew up in the midwest, who can't relate to the snow?) It is also fabulous for talk about mental images, because the words just beg for visualization. This was a great book that I could find many uses for in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment