Saturday, December 5, 2009

George Hogglesberry: Grade School Alien

By: Sarah Wilson

I personally didn’t like this book, but I could see a lot of kids really relating to it, and also there is a lot of humor. I liked the way that they presented the idea of what it is like to be new in a school by making the main character from another planet. I think that kids could relate to that on multiple levels. The idea of fitting in and wanting to belong is something that is common to all of us. When the whole class was asking George about what it was like on his planet, and how it was different, I could see a child from another country really connecting with that feeling, or with those questions. I could also see kids who have moved schools identifying with George’s feelings of nervousness in fitting in at a new school. This topic was addressed in a way that was fun, and I could see kids getting a lot out of it while also enjoying the humor and the story itself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment