Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Quilt Maker's Gift

By: Jeff Brumbeau

I loved this book because of the rich illustrations. They are very detailed and add to the content of the story, but do not detract from the text itself. The language was also very expressive and rich. My impression is that this story would be a more difficult read because there is a significant amount of text on each page, and there is a lot going on within the story. However, I like how it follows a pattern of repetition, making it easy for the reader to predict and understand what is going on. Because this predictability was added to the story, I think that readers will find it challenging but not in an overwhelming way.  For more novice readers, this would be a better book to read aloud to a group, however, it is a little bit long and I could see attention being an issue. For more experienced readers, I could see this being a meaningful challenge as an independent read, or in a reading group.

No comments:

Post a Comment