Saturday, September 26, 2009

Priscilla and the Hollyhocks

By Anne Broyles

 This was a wonderfully written book about a little girl who grows up as a slave. I would definitely want this book in my classroom. It used a diverse dialect throughout the story (never: ne’er – I suspect: I ‘spect). It mirrors a different perspective on life, and is very empathetic, yet relatable. The illustrations were beautiful and helped paint the images of the story. The language was very interesting and expressive (Her hands were gnarled – I was silent as the walls, etc). It had a good selection of expressions that added to the tone of the story. Nothing about this book seemed generic, there was a clear point of view, and I could hear the narrator’s voice as I read it. I think it did a great job talking about the tough issue of slavery in a way that was not sugarcoated, but was not inappropriate either. All of the other children’s books that I have read on this topic have seemed to sort of gloss over it. Although this book did not go into all the details, it was bold, and really captured the essence of the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment