Monday, November 9, 2009

Controversial books - Rose Blanche

 By: Roberto Innocenti

I think that saying “like” in terms of this book is not the appropriate term, but I would definitely say that I appreciated it and found it meaningful. This first thing that I will say is I would never just leave this book lying around for children to discover. If I was going to use it I would have to put a lot of thought into it, and also make sure that I had enough time to devote to it (at least a couple of days). I think that if I were to use this book it would either be in a small literature group as a choice, or as part of an entire holocaust or war unit. This book was very dense for a children’s book. This was my second time reading it and there was so much that I missed the first time around. The illustrations make it a very powerful read. I do think that this book would be useful in a classroom, because the reality, however horrible, is the reality, and it is important to learn about and think critically about, especially at a young age. I think it is important at a young age to be able to develop a certain kind of caring and compassion, even if it feels uncomfortable. I am not sure that shielding children from real events and real life just because it is not pretty is really doing them any good. I think that to some extent, if we have made them think, if we have upset them, then in a way we have done our jobs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment