Monday, November 9, 2009

Controversial Books - And Tango Makes Three

By: Justin Richardson

I loved this book. I loved the story but what I loved most of all was that it was a true story. I think that it would have bothered me had it not been a true story, because it bothers me when authors use animals as metaphors when talking about human rights issues. However, the fact that it is true made it a very enjoyable read, and also can add to the rationale and the legitimacy of in the context of explaining this book choice it to parents and administrations. This book can really stand on its own as a cute story about Penguins, but also invites a lot of conversation if you are ready to get into it. I do think though that if you are going to use this book, you should talk about it, because there are just so many wonderful opportunities that present themselves. One thing that I thought of while reading it is that it would be good to talk about as a class if we know anyone who has two moms or two dads, or if we know two people of the same sex who are together. I also like that it plays into the child’s compassion in caring about what happens to the penguins. I think if I were to use this story I would use it as a read aloud because it is a story I would want to read and discuss with my students, instead of letting them just happen upon it on their own. Again, like the misfits, it makes me sad that allowing this book in schools is an issue. Also like I said before with the misfits, I am not saying everyone must read this book, but not allowing it is just sad to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment