Monday, November 9, 2009

Controversial books - A Simple Story of a Boy who Peed on War

By: Vladamir Radunsky

I honestly am not sure how I feel about this book. First impression was that it has great illustrations. However, in terms of content I am a little unsure. My first impressions after reading it were that it was kind of humorous, but I can definitely see why it would make people uncomfortable. I don’t think it is a bad book, but I am not sure how I would feel about reading it at a read aloud, or even having it in my classroom for individual reading. I thought that the talk about war along with the illustration was very effective, however, it was kind of down hill from there for me. I think my biggest problem is the maturity level. I think this book definitely plays into the oh-so-popular “potty humor” and really, in doing so, trivializes the idea of war. I could also see it having really bad behavioral consequences for kids who think it is funny and maybe want to imitate it. I am also not sure what it teaches. Not that every book needs to teach something exactly, but I think that when you are dealing with a topic like war, you really have to go into it with an educational motive. I am not really all that offended by it, I just don’t really understand the point and I don’t think that it promotes the level of maturity that we are looking for when talking about important things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment