Monday, November 9, 2009

The Giver


By: Lois Lowery

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. This is definitely a book that has multiple layers that allows both adults and children can learn something from it. I liked that it was mature yet still suitable for young readers. It raises so many questions and has so many jumping off points for lesson plans within the classroom. There are so many different directions you can go with it and that’s what I love about it. Also, each person can really bring their own perspective and interpretation to it so it can provide a learning experience beyond just the planned out lesson. Besides being great for instruction, it was also an enjoyable, suspenseful read that I didn’t want to put down – I think this aspect has a huge benefit in the classroom because we want students to read something that they will enjoy and that will evoke feelings from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment