Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pass it on: African American Poetry for Children

Selected by Wade Hudson

This is a book with a selection of poetry. I enjoyed reading this a lot. As I said before, I have always been stuck in narrative fiction, so I am just starting to venture out into other genres, and I am seeing all of the possibilities, especially with a genre like poetry. There are just so many ways that poetry can be used in the classroom, the one that comes most readily to my mind is the discussion of mental images. Also, this could be integrated into different units, for example, social studies, as Langston Hughes is one of the poets featured here. Also, in my classroom I really want diversity and a wide range of people to be represented in the literature that I chose, and this book accomplishes that. The poets are African American and this group is clearly represented through the illustrations – However, most of the poems themselves are about everyday life, which I enjoy and appreciate! The illustrations are beautiful and catch your attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment